A Sufficient Life
|Posted by Shannon on October 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM|
The most important question to ask yourself BEFORE you run out and buy a bunch of rabbits is....WHY? Why do you want to raise rabbits? There are a few typical answers:
1) I want to raise my own healthy, sustainable source of meat for my family.
2) I want/my familywants to participate in 4H, FFA, or other rabbits shows.
3) I want to raise rabbits to sell for pets.
4) I want to raise rabbits for their wool. (Yes, rabbits can have wool... )
5) I just like rabbits and I want to raise them.
The first four are legitimate reasons, the last one....not so much. If you "weally weally wub dat wittle bundle of fluffyness" then, by all means, get a rabbit or two. What you don't want to do is get a male and a female and just let "nature take it's course." You will soon be overrun...remember the Tribble episode of Star Trek?
Get one, or two of the same sex, and cuddle to your hearts content.I say same sex because spay/neuter surgery is risky for rabbits. I would rather not take the chance, myself.
Whatever your reasoning for raising rabbits (say that 10 times fast!) you will need to think long and hard about what you want to accomplish. Come back for our next installment.....WHAT?